It was the time when everything seemed very slow and then Prime Minister came forward and urged youngsters, the new voters to register for voting and exercise their right to vote with campaigns on social media. Many netizens on Twitter and other social media also started a campaign asking people to register themselves and then finally go to vote. More votes (means more voting percentage) means a good sign for the BJP for various reasons which we will see in the article below.
On 12th May, we saw the phase 6th of the election and if we see the overall voting percentage, it has improved by almost 1%, which is definitely a good sign for the ruling party.
Let’s compare some data from 2014 to 2019 election of phase 6th:
- States which showed a positive voter turnout (increased from 2014):
- Bihar – by 2.18%
- Jharkhand – by 0.23%
- Madhya Pradesh – by 8.41%
- Uttar Pradesh – by 0.42%
- States which showed a negative voter turnout (decreased from 2014):
- Haryana – by 1.15%
- West Bengal – by 0.46%
- Delhi – by 4.59%
Overall change: 63.7% in 2014 – 64.58% in 2019 (Increase of almost 1%)
Generally, more voting percentage is a sign of anti-incumbency like it happened in 2014 when the voting percentage was high compared to 2009 but the latest theories say something different. Here, PM Modi has been seen urging people to go and vote and we have seen a lot much support to PM from across the country in this festival of democracy.
Some interesting points which I inferred from the data above & general political happenings in the country:
- Congress ruled Madhya Pradesh has seen a big growth in voting percentage. We all do know that Madhya Pradesh was a close battle in the state elections despite huge anti-incumbency of 15 years. Congress made a lot of promises in the election but when they came in power little did they delivered and there have been words going around that people from Madhya Pradesh especially farmers are not happy with the new Congress government. Thus, the higher voting turnout seems to be a good sign for BJP in MP.
- Some recent events in India have made Indian Young Generation believe in a strong government. As a youngster, I have seen so many of my friends talking about military, army, nationalism, anti-nationalism, & more importantly on the topic of elections and the leaders. Young India wants a strong and youthful government which I believe is Narendra Modi led NDA Government has been successful to provide.
- Some recent loses of BJP Government in state elections, however small or big it is, has sent a clear message to voters about why it is important to have a strong government. We have seen Congress-led state governments in problems in the states they are ruling – say it Karnataka or Madhya Pradesh.
- If we assume that Modi wave is still playing the role as seen in many of his rally where thousands and thousands of people are coming to see their leader, then increase in voting percentage means the 2014’s voter base + some extra cherry on the top for the Modi led BJP Government.
- Delhi has seen a lot, actually a lot of drama in this current election. From every day’s coalition or no coalition news of AAP and Congress to changing of the surname by some leaders and to Udit Raj’s no ticket to ticket to no ticket. People definitely might have laughed but it seems they actually did not care a lot and are tired of the drama in the national capital. With the big names on the seats, Delhi’s political drama cum battle might help BJP with few more votes as Anti-BJP votes getting divided into AAP and INC.
- Rallies in West-Bengal indicating a big surprise for everyone and sources are saying BJP is set to win anywhere around 8-16 seats in West Bengal this time.
A lot might have happened in the country in last 5 years which Modi led BJP Government might have failed to show the country but as they said the one who got benefitted through various schemes for the poor, middle class and businessmen – seems BJP’s ambassadors are the citizens of the country this time. Definitely, with 6 phases of elections over – it looks like BJP is set to break their 2014’s record.
Get real time updates about our posts directly on your device