In the aftermath of the deadliest terror attack on security forces in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, the Government of India is likely to withdraw security cover of the Hurriyat and other separatist leaders in the valley.
Big: Govt Sources confirm that security given to all Hurriyat separatists in Kashmir will be withdrawn in the next 48 hours. Orders for the same have been given. Fallout of the Pulwama terror attack. More details likely soon.
— Aditya Raj Kaul (@AdityaRajKaul) February 15, 2019
Big: Security given to all Hurriyat separatists in Kashmir to be withdrawn forthwith.
— हम भारत के लोग (@India_Policy) February 15, 2019
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh while talking to the media on Friday said that the Government of India is going to review the security of the people working at the behest of Pakistan and its intelligence agency ISI. Singh was apparently referring to the Hurriyat Conference leaders, who for long have enjoyed security cover from the Indian state while spewing venom against the very same.
At the end of his day-long visit to Kashmir, Rajnath Singh told the media that the security given to people who get funds from neighbouring Pakistan and ISI should be reviewed. “There are elements and forces who take money from Pakistan and the ISI. I have asked the officials concerned to review their security,” Singh said.
The home minister also said some elements in the valley had links with the ISI and terrorist outfits, but the government is determined to defeat them. Rajnath said, “Such people are playing with the people of Jammu and Kashmir and the future of the state’s youth. Our war against terror is in a decisive phase and I want to assure the nation that we will win it.”
While the Hurriyat leaders and other separatists continue their rants against India and the security forces, they have enjoyed police protection for far too long. A lot of money is spent on the salaries of guards and personal security officers (PSOs) deployed for the security cover of the separatists.
It may be mentioned that the government has been spending crores of rupees on the security of separatist leaders. Last year, Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti had told Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly that in the past 10 years, the state had spent around Rs 11 crore on the security and transportation fuel of Hurriyat leaders.
According to The Tribune, the Hurriyat leaders who enjoy the security cover are Aga Syed Hassan Molvi, Molvi Umar Farooq, Prof Abdul Gani Bhat, Molvi Abass Ansari, Bilal Gani Lone, Fazal Haq Qureshi, Mohammad Yasin Malik, Saleem Geelani, Zaffar Akbar Bhat, Shahid-ul-Islam, Abdul Gani Shah, Aga Syed Abul Hussain, Farooq Ahmad Kichloo and Masroor Abbas Ansari.
The Modi government has been on a crackdown spree on the separatist leaders in the valley. In 2017, The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had conducted raids across 20 locations in Kashmir rattling the separatist leaders and leaving them gasping for breath.
“The searches have so far led to the recovery of the cash amount of over Rs 1.15 crore, property-related documents, letterheads of banned terrorist organizations such as LeT and HM, pen-drives, laptops, and other incriminating documents,” an NIA spokesperson had said.
It is a well-known fact that the separatist leaders in the valley have been funding anti-national activities with help from across the border. From stone pelting on security forces to terror-related activities, the separatists have been at the forefront of anti-India activities in the Kashmir valley.
Get real time updates about our posts directly on your device