I shall draw a minor but effective comparison between the Cauvery, Krishna and the Godavari (which is termed as the Dakshin Ganga) which will convey how silly the dispute actually is.
River Basin: An entire area which is irrigated by a river and its tributaries.
Approximately, 800 Kms long and originates at Talakaveri, Kodagu Karnataka and flows through Tamil Nadu before emptying itself in the Bay of Bengal. The river flows only through 2 States, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. The Cauvery Basin (Territory which is irrigated and benefits through the river and its tributaries) though encompasses four States. Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry. The total area of the Cauvery Basin is 81,155 Sq.Km. Out of which, a major portion (54%) is in TN (43,856 Sq.Km). 2nd comes Karnataka with 34,273 Sq.Km (42%). Then Kerala with 2,866 Sq.Km (3.5%) and finally Puducherry with 160 Sq.Km (less than 1%). Accordingly, the Cauvery Tribunal has accorded 419 TMC to TN, 270 TMC to Karnataka, 30 TMC to Kerala and 7 TMC to Puducherry.
Approximately, 1300 Kms long and originates in the Western Ghats of Maharashtra at Mahabaleshwar (a Favorite tourist destination in Maharashtra), and flows through Karnataka and finally through Andhra Pradesh (for the purpose of simplicity I shall refer Telangana and Andhra as one State). Just for information, Krishna and Godavari flow through Telangana before entering Andhra. Just the basin size of Tungabhadra the largest tributary of the Krishna is almost equal in size to the entire Basin size of the Cauvery at almost 71,400 Sq.Kms. The total Basin size of the Krishna River is a huge 250,000 Sq.Kms. A major portion of this basin lies in Karnataka at almost 113,000 Sq, Km (3 times bigger than the Cauvery Basin in Karnataka) and 40% more than the entire Cauvery basin itself, encompassing both states of TN and Karnataka. 2nd comes United Andhra at 76,000 Sq.Km. and finally Maharashtra where the river itself originates at almost 70,000 Sq,Km.
Godavari (Dakshin Ganga):
Approximately 1500 Kms long, and originates at Trimbakeshwar, near Nashik, Maharashtra, and flows through United Andhra (Telangana and Andhra) before emptying itself in the Bay of Bengal. The Basin size of this mighty river is roughly one tenth the size of the great land called India and larger than the countries of England and Ireland put together. The Godavari Basin with a size of almost 315,000 Sq.Km encompasses the States of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and finally United Andhra (Telangana + Andhra). Only the Basins of the Mighty and Holy Ganga and the Indus are bigger than the Mighty Godavari.
With the above data in the background, has anyone of us heard any water wars between the Krishna water and Godavari water sharing states? The answer is a big no!!! Then why only the Cauvery dispute?? And for a river which has no complications as Krishna and Godavari. Starting at Karnataka and ending at Tamil Nadu. Straight and Simple.
The answers are complicated and manifold.
Reasons for the dispute:
- The only major river which flows through Tamil Nadu is the Cauvery. The total land area of Tamil Nadu is approximately 130,000 Sq,Km. In short Cauvery which irrigates 43,000 Sq.Km (33% of land area) of Tamil Nadu is considered as Tamil Nadu’s Life line. The combined irrigation area of all other small rivers which originate and end in Tamil Nadu is probable less than half of the area irrigated by the Cauvery. Apart from the Cauvery, Tamil Nadu has no major river flowing through the state.
- In comparison, Karnataka which has a land area of 196,000 Sq.Km is irrigated by 2 major rivers, being Krishna and Cauvery, in addition to 2 major tributaries of the Krishna (Tungabhadra) and the Godavari (Manjira). The combined irrigation area of just these 4 rivers in Karnataka is approximately 175,000 Sq.Km, which is almost 4 times the irrigation area provided by the Cauvery in Tamil Nadu and encompasses the entire state of Karnataka. Virtually meaning, the entire state of Karnataka is a fertile River Basin. Not including the Basin area of various small rivers originating and ending in Karnataka. Sometimes Basin areas do overlap.
- Going by sheer numbers, Tamil Nadu needs justice. If Cauvery waters are held up, Tamil Nadu suffers a lot. There should be no doubt about that fact. For Karnataka, even in a worse case scenario, if Cauvery dries up, the Basin area which will suffer is just 20% of the total fertile Basin area in the state irrigated by other Major Rivers. This can be irrigated again by diverting the rivers to that area.
But, who created this sense of crisis? The blame goes to the Dravidian Parties of Tamil Nadu. Specifically the DMK. Why??
- Here, there is a connection between the LTTE, DMK and the Cauvery Crisis. The Dravidian Parties always had a secessionist agenda due to their camouflaged Christian beliefs. Please refer my previous article on this subject
- The Dravidian movement was a well planned Christian agenda aiming to make an entry into the Indian heartland through Tamil Nadu. The failure of the Christian Church through almost 300 years of rule deeply pained the abdicating rulers so much that, they invented a grand plan of trying to wean away the socially weak sections of society away from Hinduism. Their direct attempts were always resisted. So they tried an indirect method. This was by blaming the Higher Castes for the woes of the socially lower castes. Later, initiating the dis-enchanted lower castes to atheism which then becomes easy for a conversion to Christianity. Who better than an Upper Caste person called Periyar to initiate the Upper Caste Domination narrative, thus inventing the Dravidian Movement. Again, though the Dravidian Movement gained traction in Tamil Nadu, the Dravidian Parties who gained Millions of followers found out to their dismay, that, they could not wean away their followers from their core Hindu beliefs. An armed struggle was out of the question. Since it would be crushed by the Mighty Indian State and the Christian Agenda would be out in the open, which would also lead to their loss of followers definitively.
- Plans were re-drawn. This was to induce a separatist agenda through neighboring Sri Lanka. There was a sizeable Tamil Population in Sri Lanka (20%) which had historic ties with India. The grand idea being, if the Tamilians succeeded in their aim of ceding from the Sri Lankan State, the embers from the fire generated will lead to a similar such result in Tamil Nadu from the Indian State. The Kandy Kings of Sri Lanka had converted to Budhism and were the main reason for the spread of Budhism in Sri Lanka. Due to a certain neglect which the dominant Sinhala Community and Rulers gave to the Tamil areas of North and North-East Sri Lanka dominated by the Tamilians, Christianity seeped into the Tamil Areas of Sri Lanka. Tamil Nadu is the only Main Line Indian State with the highest percentage of Christians in the country which stands at almost 6-8%. All of this under the influence of Sri Lankan Christian Tamils. The Christian Church at the Vatican heavily funded and armed the Christian Tamils of Sri Lanka many of them who did not reveal their new religion to their Hindu Tamilian brothers and sisters and neighbors. At times to their own parents. Vellupalli Prabhakaran the leader of LTTE was one such example. Prabhakaran’s parents and brothers being devout Hindus and completely oblivious of Prabhakaran’s conversion and agenda. Prabhakaran’s agenda being one of the main reasons for the father son duo not talking to each other till the very end.
- Most of the LTTE’s top cadre were Christian:
Prabhakaran aka Pirapaharan (Christian convert, a lapsed Methodist)
S.P. Tamil Selvam – Christian
Balraj (Balasegaram Kandiah) – Christian
Pottu Amman (Christian)
Prabhakaran’s son Charles Anthony – Christian
Anton Balasingham – Christian
Soosai (Thillaiyampalam Sivanesan) – Christian
Thenmozhi Rajaratnam (nickname Dhanu), Rajiv Gandhi’s suicide bomber assassin – Christian
The so called ‘Tamil Liberation Movement’ of Sri Lanka was a covert agenda to secede Tamil Areas of Sri Lanka and subsequently India thereafter to become one Tamil Eelam (Tamil Homeland) and establish a Christian State of Tamils.
Another example of the Christian Agenda of the LTTE was as below:
Before 1991, slain LTTE cadres were cremated according to Hindu rites. However a small but highly influential Christian cadre objected to the practice of cremating the slain fighters.
So, in 1991, in deference to the Christian demand, LTTE banned the practice of cremation of its slain cadres and mandated that they be buried in a graveyard.
Parents of the slain Hindu fighters objected but were overruled. Hindu parents of LTTE fighters lost their sons and daughters as well as the fundamental right to perform their final rites according to Hindu customs. Their children were forcibly buried in Christian-style cemeteries.
- Most of the LTTE cadre were given unlimited amount of money, training and hospitality by the DMK during a course of 3 decades. Also forcing the Indian Central Govt through Dravidian Political Pressure to help the Tamils of Sri Lanka since they were also Hindus like Indians.
- There was a 2 fold strategy. While the LTTE under Prabhakaran was building up the pressure in Sri Lanka, the DMK stroked the secessionist fire through the perceived injustice on Tamils through the Cauvery Dispute. A simple dispute which could have been settled with simple discussions. If and when the DMK was not in power, then the ruling party which was mainly the AIADMK was blackmailed, that they were acting against the wishes of Tamils if they ever decided to sit for discussions with Karnataka. This ensured that the Cauvery issue remained unsolved for decades, with both the Dravidian parties (specially the DMK) holding all parties to ransom with their sinister agenda.
- The story went as per script till Rajiv Gandhi went into negotiations with the LTTE and sealed the Sri Lankan Accord between LTTE, Sri Lankan Govt and India. Had everything gone as per the accord, all hostilities would have ceased with immediate effect. Prabhakaran being forced to negotiate due to the heavy causalities being faced among the Hindu Tamils whom he led and they did not even suspect his real intentions. The DMK and the Vatican panicked and forced Prabhakaran to abdicate, who in turn did not turn up for the signing of the accord as promised. This infuriated Rajiv Gandhi who sent in the IPKF (Indian Peace Keeping Force) to maintain peace in the Tamil Areas. Actually the intention was to declare war on the LTTE and to crush them permanently.
- This counter infuriated the LTTE, including Prabhakaran himself, the DMK and the Vatican, who then hatched a plan with someone very close to Rajiv Gandhi (who believed in the Vatican and was a Roman Catholic) to eliminate him, which was eventually accomplished in 1991. Evidence of this was the electoral marriage of the Congress and DMK with the blessings of the Church at the highest levels despite enough legal evidence that, it was the DMK which provided all local logistics and support to the team which spearheaded, planned and executed the act. But, the damage was done post the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi. LTTE was termed as a pariah by the Indian Government and Intelligence Agencies and all types of logistical and ideological support was stopped, which ultimately led to the capture and death of the LTTE Top leadership along with countless innocent Hindu Tamils. The Vatican and the DMK had a slight comfort in defeat. If not complete cessation, at least the death of countless Hindu Tamils through genocide. It was a complete surprise that, it was the perceived anti-South Indian Shiv Sena and the BJP who cried hoarse at the genocide of Hindu Tamils, but, the response from Dravidian Parties, specifically the DMK was terribly muted.
- A final attempt attempt was made to dis-credit the Tamilian Hindus and thus all Hindus prior to the 2014 General Elections by declaring and showing them as terrorists, through the movie ‘Madras Café’ which was strongly opposed by the BJP and Shiv Sena, who called for a Nationwide ban on the movie. This again, strangely saw muted response from the Dravidian Parties. The inference being that the movie was funded directly by the Congress Party itself.
This is the link between the LTTE, DMK and the Cauvery dispute. A dispute which has been caused by a greedy Karnataka in the 1st place and an advantage seeking rogue secessionist DMK from Tamil Nadu, who used the fires stoked by the LTTE to claim for a combined Tamil Eelam. When I say greedy Karnataka, I refer to the governments who obviously don’t declare the facts to the public.
Note: This website holds the Christian faith in high regard and is in no way anti-Christian. We have tried to stay close to the facts but in case you find any discrepancies, please let us know. We’ll update the article accordingly.
Get real time updates about our posts directly on your device